Fun at the Fair! – October 18, 2009October 20th, 2009 | Posted by in Family
We loved visiting the OC and LA county fairs when we lived in California, but had never been to an Arizona fair until this past Sunday. The AZ State Fair is currently in it’s 125th year and is one of the top 5 state fairs in the country (thanks Wikipedia)!
Our favorite part of the fair experience is definitely the food. This year some of the new offerings were (direct from the web site):
- Chocolate-covered bacon
- Deep fried battered bacon on a stick with gravy
- Reindeer hot dogs
- Deep fried scorpion plain or dipped in chocolate
- Deep fried grasshoppers on a stick (All bugs that are FDA approved for human consumption)
- Sauteed meal worms served on a bun w/BBQ sauce
- Smoked lizard on a stick
I’m happy to say that we avoided all of those and stuck with the five basic fair food groups:
- Bread: Giant Corn Dog breading
- Meat: Giant Corn Dog
- Dairy: Fried Cheese Curds
- Fruits and Veggies: Brick of curly fries, fresh squeezed lemonade, “cherry” flavored Icee
- Sugar: Cotton Candy
Gavin had fun checking out all of the colors/sounds and various carny folk (by the way you’ll find some interesting pictures if you do a Google Image search for “carnies”). Chanin and I took out a loan so we could afford enough tickets to ride the big slide, ferris wheel, and a really high swing. Thanks to Chanin’s parents for watching the baby while we rode!
Gavin’s favorite part of the fair was when he got to see and pet the animals. We saw a lot of bunnies, cows, goats, and piggies.
We’re already looking forward to the fair next year and hoping Gavin will be tall enough to enjoy some of the rides then. And next time I’m going to find the elusive “Mexican Funnel Cake” stand!
All of the pictures are below. Enjoy!